Tuesday, December 6, 2011

LIght, fluffy and super high rising biscuits



I made these biscuits this morning. I didn't have any of my round cutters because my mom is borrowing them. All I had was this small fluted cutter. I used it with great success. We got light mini biscuits. I also didn't have buttermilk for the dough, so I made my own using milk and lemon juice. Worked well, although the dough was a little more wet than usual. No worries. These biscuits were light, fluffy, melt in your mouth good, and rose sooo high, with flaky layers. Love..!!! We scarfed down quite a few. The key is a high baking temp. and cutting in the butter into the flour just right. This is my favorite biscuit recipe. No frills, but hey, that is a biscuit for you.
The recipe is from Katie Lee Joel's Comfort Food cookbook.

2 1/2 - 3 c. all purpose flour
1 stick of butter or 50/50 stick butter(Smart Balance)
1 TBSP. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450F.
Combine all dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Stir together. Cut butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and mix till moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 3-5 times. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out with a 2 inch biscuit cutter. Reroll scraps and cut those out. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. When oven is preheated place in oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly and then eat. They are so buttery good, you really don't need to butter them more. Just a dollop of jam is good.

Enjoy. Excuse my lack of photography ability. I am not a photographer, just a baker.

No comments: