Saturday, March 1, 2014

MIM #153 Watercolored embossed resist backgrounds

It has taken me all week to get this challenge done.  We have had a crazy busy week (at least for us), and I had to dismantle my crafting table and move my basic supplies to make way for my new crafting table courtesy of my wonderful Mom!!  Love you, Mom!!  I gathered supplies last night and carried them down to my kitchen table so I could at least attempt this MIM challenge.  I wanted to do something different, original and to stretch my comfort zone.  I am really really good at CASing other people's ideas.  Up until now, it has always taken me too long to try to figure out something original.  It still takes a little while to settle on a sketch or color palette, but I am trying to simplify my idea boards on Pinterest so there aren't so many ideas to choose from.  Simplify, simplify, simplify!!  It is my new motto for 2014.

Anyway, here is what I came up with.  I used a sketch from Mojo Monday from 2013, a color palette from a past PTI color scheme download, and some of my new stamps that have not seen ink but maybe once.  I used the colors of hibiscus burst, raspberry fizz, summer sunrise, orange zest, and ripe avocado.  I used SU! watercolor crayons on acetate to make my watercolor paint.  I used the new modern herringbone set from Erin Lincoln, polka dot basics, and woodgrain mats sets.  I mounted each watercolored piece on coordinating card stock to ground it against the white background.  I think it is pretty.  Not the best, but pretty good for trying to be original.  Can I just say that stamping with versamark on watercolor paper and trying to line that up is hard.  I had to emboss each section as I went up the page before I could stamp the next section so I could try to see what I had stamped before.  Crazy.   That is why my herringbone background isn't exactly right, but it was usable and so I went with the pattern that happened after the first embossing and trying to line up the next set.

Happy March 1st everyone, and enjoy your weekend.  I am busy cleaning, baking Brookies (brownie and cookie cups all in one), and finishing laundry.  Also just enjoying the sounds of my two awesome sons enjoying their play time and seeing their creations with K'nex and Legos.  Sounds like a pretty good day to me.  God is good and everyone is healthy.  What more can we ask for?



No comments: