Monday, February 9, 2009

An Idea That Is Brewing

I have an idea brewing, but I haven't totally researched the "business" and "tax" implications of this, but I want to put a sort of feeler out there to see if I should invest the time to make a go of this.  I am thinking of offering an online "store" so to speak for cards, notecard packs, some gift packaging, and notecard packaging.  I make a lot of cards just to use new technique, color combos, and the supplies I have gathered over 7 years of stamping.  I have all this stuff, and I would like to generate a little money while using it.  I also love making cards for a purpose, to give to people.  If I could give the whole kit and kaboodle away I would as I just like doing this for a stress outlet and it's my quiet time alone to recharge when I get to stamp.  However, I have to find some way to pay for the consumable elements of this craft like paper, ribbons, embellishments and most importantly adhesives.  So I need to find a way to do what I love, recoup expenses on paper and such and give to you the card consumer.  

Ideally I would post pictures of the cards I have been making (I usually make more than one of each card I make), and the number I have available for sale.  Single cards will run about $1.50 each to $2.50 for really embellished or fancy cards.  I would simply charge shipping and handling of about $1 for regular postage and delivery confirmation for you.  I also want to offer some packs of notecards, thank you cards, or other gift sets of stationary packaged attractively.  These would of course be more expensive, probably come in packs of 6-8 and would cost more to ship.  I think eventually I would like to offer hand stamped one of a kind gifts like baby frames, home decor pieces, gift ensembles, gift packaging, etc. as time allows.  I know in this economy money will be tight, and I know we are all looking for ways to give and make meaningful gifts.  I know some people aren't gifted with creative ability or time to do this on their own.  I would like to offer one of a kind gifts at a reasonable price. 

So who out there would be interested in this card making store idea?  Now I won't be running around everyday mailing out packages, or killing myself to fill more orders than I can.  I will be updating my offerings as I make cards.  I won't be taking orders to make later, but rather you get to choose from what I already have on hand.  It's a kind of first come first served thing.  I'll be constantly updating and adding to the offerings as I make them.  Gift card sets, gift ideas and packaging will be handled a little differently, but I won't be taking tons of orders for those.  I don't have tons of extra time to be stamping every night.  I have to keep all this in balance.  But I would like to put a system in place to take orders for larger more complex items in such a way that I have time to work on them and get them to you in a timely manner.  That means advance planning on the customer's part of not asking for something like that for say the next day or the next week.  Just won't happen.  So anyway, in the next month or so after our big move I'll be trying to figure this out if I get some interest.  I just want to find a way to get these cards into the hands of someone who will use them.  I usually make more than I can use.  
So leave me a comment and let me know if you would consider buying a card from an online gallery here on my blog and if the price of $1.50 -$2.50 seems fair.  I know Hallmark sells their cards for way more these days.  This is a bargain even with the shipping added.  

Melissa

No comments: