Friday, February 20, 2015

Masculine Birthday Cards

So, it is always a challenge to make masculine birthday cards-- well, cards for guys in general.  Yet, we always need them don't we.  So here is how I have been trying to make some cards using sets that might at first seem a little less than masculine.  It is all about the colors, layout, accessories or lack thereof.  I kind of like what I came up with this time.  I also challenged myself to use some card sketches I printed off from MFT stamps, and switched up a great card I found today by Brian King.  So here they are:


I am trying to use up this yummy Birthday Bash DSP by Stampin' UP!  I love the colors, the patterns, and that little fleck of gold.  So pretty and great for masculine cards.  I used the new SAB birthday chalkboard set for the circle cake card and Building Blocks by PTI for the phrases on the strips.  Love the gold embossing.  The green card used the Happy word die from PTI Tipped Top dies, Birthday was stamped from PTI Wet Paint 1 set.  The button with gold string sets the vellum banner off great.  Just wish I had better vellum adhesive.  Both of these cards were based on MFT stamps sketches.  


This is the card I CASED from Brian King but with my own twist because I don't have any of the stamps he used.  I found the perfect substitutes though and am totally pleased with how this turned out.  They are 5x5 cards, which means I need to use my envelope punch board to make some custom envelopes.  Love the girl and boy version.  

So what do you think?  Did I achieve a good masculine birthday card?  I am really trying to use what I already have, rummage through all my various stamp sets to put them to good use, and am trying to use card sketches and my DSP hoarded stash to make cards these days.  I still do a fair share of CASEing for a quicker card, but am finding my way around sketches.  I tend to be pretty literal in my interpretation and am learning that I don't have to be.  It is hard though. Totally stretching my creativity.  

No comments: