Thursday, May 31, 2007

A couple of yummy Summer recipes

Here are a few summery recipes for some salad fare. These are great to make up at the beginning of the week so you have some light lunches for a few days.

A friend of mine made a salad like this for a cookout on Memorial Day. I don't know her recipes, but when I went to the grocery store the next day, they had mangoes on sale for 2/$1.00 and I thought I would try to recreate it. I think it turned out well. So here it is:

Mango Black Bean salsa:
One can of black beans rinsed and drained
One mango cut up in small pieces
Half a yellow or red bell pepper (I used yellow) chopped in small pieces
A few slices of red onion finely chopped
A tablespoon or two of cilantro chopped or some parsley finely chopped
About 2 tablespoons of lime juice
About 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 tsp. of jerk seasoning or I would cut up a jalapeno pepper (without seeds) for a little spice

Mix together well and chill. Serve with tortilla chips.


Couscous salad:
1c. whole wheat couscous
1 1/2 c . of water. Brint to a boil, pour couscous in, cover and let stand for 5 min. till done. cool slightly
2 tbsp. parsley chopped
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lemon, zest half, and squeeze the juice of the whole lemon
1/2 of a cucumber chopped into small pieces
1 tomato chopped into small pieces or cherry tomatoes cut in half
Salt and pepper to taste ( I tend to add a little more salt as it cuts the bitter flavor parsley sometimes gives and it mellows out the lemon flavor too.
2 green onions slices thinly

Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl and chill. It is very yummy, and refreshing.

I'll post some cool dessert foods you can make too.

No comments: