Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's here... I have the new catalog!!!

I have the new Stampin' UP! catalog.  It's gorgeous, as usual.  First impression as I looked through it was a mediocre one.  Lots of the stuff I like, I already have.  A lot of the same sets that I didn't like before in there, and the new stuff, well it was okay, but still too many flowers.  Not enough kids additions that were good.  Not enough occasions sets, and not enough fresh new stuff.  Now with that said.  I love the new designer papers, metal brads, clip assortments, ribbons, and punches.  There are a lot of great things there.  I'll talk more about that later.  
After looking through it a few times, I am a bit more optimistic, but still not a long list of stamps I want that are new.  A huge list of papers and accessories I want, but I will say the samples of art made with the stamps in this catalog are awesome.  The new In Colors really make the other 48 colors pop out at you.  They are stunning.  I didn't think I would like them when I first saw them this spring, but after having them and playing with them, seeing them combined with other colors in the catalog, I love them.  They are rich and vibrant and so wonderful.  

Now with that all said, here is my section by section review:
Hostess sets:  as in past couple of years, they don't do a lot for me.  I love the Deer Friends set for Christmas.  The Serene Spring set is also pretty.  Level 1 choices are Punches Three that go with the new square scallop punch and the new wide oval punch, Best Yet which also go with those two punches, and the prints paper pack--love the new prints designs.

Holidays:  none of the Halloween as we just aren't into that and they are too creepy.  I like the Batty For You, but again, I wouldn't buy it cause I wouldn't use it enough.  
Thanksgiving set In Everything Give Thanks is cute, but I don't see myself decorating and sending cards for Thanksgiving too much.  
Christmas:  love Snow Swirled, Spotlight on Christmas (goes with lots of the punches), Snowburst.  Holiday Trinkets is nice too.

Occasions: 
Cheers to you is the cocktail set I have been hoping for.  Very cute.
Love Party Hearty which goes with lots of punches and is quite versatile (hats can be turned into Christmas trees or upside down for pennants)
Crazy for Cupcakes is sort of like other companies cupcake sets, but it is nice
Simple Birthday Thanks is high on my list for helping my boys write their own thank yous for birthday gifts.  So cute.

Growing Up:  nothing too new and noteworthy

All Natural: 
Pocket silhouettes is very pretty and petite (on sale in Aug. for 15% off)
Inspired By Nature didn't really strike me too much at first, but I have seen convention goers samples and they are pretty.
Upsy Daisy  (on sale in Aug. for 15% off) is very pretty too and I just love the Urban Garden paper that goes with this set and Inspired by nature)
Bella's bloom is pretty and inexpensive and goes with the Bella Rose paper
Under the Stars is super cute for camping, and with Nathan in Cub Scouts it might go on the wish list.

Elements:
New addition to the large Calender stamp is Cute Cues with more cues to put on  your calendar
Say It With Scallops is the new Ronald McDonald House set and I really like it.  Love the square scallop punch it goes with.  I see simple but neat cards made from this set paired up with the pretty designer papers.  And $2 from the sale of each of these goes to the Ronald McDonald house.  I may do a special bundle with this in Sept. with square scallop punch.
Puns from the Past is a nice vintage pun set with antique typewriter, fan, grater, sewing machine, camera, buggy, and coffee pot.  Cute vintage look.  
Only Ovals with wide oval punch stamps.  Great for faux metal look. I like them.
It's a Plan background stamp set duo : planner pages and to do list on two stamps.  Okay think large On Board journals turned into a great daily planner or organizer in any color you want.  This is going on my list.
Bella Toile background is so pretty and elegant


Greetings:
New birthday greetings, thank you, script all occasion set, four square set for scallop square , new die cut alphabet.

Accessories:
All In Color products and stripe ribbons
Die cut blooms assortment from the Spring mini in a new color assortment as well as that one.  New color asst. is in baja breeze, vanilla, cocoa, and kiwi.
New notes and envelopes including the carousel notes and fresh cuts notes
Papers: urban garden, haiku, windsor knot, bella rose, hawaii papaya, maine blueberry, green tea(like the ginger blossom but in baja and greens), holiday treasures (Christmas), murifield, banbury and manchester are same prints different colors (think English plaid and argyle and stripes and such), parisian summer, and new prints in in colors as well as regular colors.
Simple Scrappin:  all new kits for baby, summer home and winter retreat, love the new I Wish for Christmas, Best Ever for birthdays is great. 
Simply Sent card elements: new elements with optional go together stamp sets.  Think precut cardstock and accents and elements pieces in a kit with a coordinating stamp set you may purchase separately.
Rub ons:  great ones here!  Word flurries for Christmas,  Chills and Thrills for Halloween, Chit Chat for all sorts of greetings, chateau bella, hidden garden, greatest moments, and school days.
New chipboard:  lots of letter sets with multiples of some letters and a lot of fun fonts.  You gotta get these.  Also a set with a combo of the ginormous frames and flower elements, a holiday set like what was in last years holiday mini but without the large letters, and a new 8 1/2 x 11 3 ring binder book you can cover and embellish.
New felt flowers in baja, chocolate and pink pirouette
New hardware:  clips assortment, mini library clips, new designer brads in different styles: filigree, flower, circles and stars, and vanilla styled hodgepodge  hardware.
Lots of new ribbon sizes and a new colors for some of the original collections.
Button assortment with different shapes and "prints" for Incolors. 
Punches: 1 3/4 circle, wide oval, scallop edge, scallop square and a new punch and stamp bundle minus the cool metal tin which is a curly label.  I like the curly label set as it works well with other punches and makes great faux metal accents paired up with metallic papers and embossing powders.


And that is all that grabbed my attention.  I in no way will be getting all of this stuff as I have too much already that I need to use up, but I still make my wish lists and then pick and choose off of that when I can.  
Nice thing is that the stamps will be around for at least a year, and the accessories I won't die without.  That paper though is pretty nice.  Hmm.  
Well that is all I have on the new catalog.  I'll keep posting the new stuff I make.  I hope you are inspired and you enjoy looking at all the cool samples in there.  They really are nice.  Some wonderful ideas, layouts,  and color combos.  I am enjoying my too late nights looking through it. 

No comments: