Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back To School Survival Kits









One of the Splitcoast Technique challenges was to make this backpack box.  I use the template for the 2-5-7-10 box since it already had a built in flap for the front, and then made up a template for the pocket on the front   Details below.  Anyway, this is so cute.  Next time I will put the straps on more realistically.  I spaced them wrong.  They should be close together at the top and spread out towards the corners on the bottom.  Next time I'll fix that.  I made 10 of these on Monday night for moms of children that are going off to Kindergarten.  They are sending their babies off to school for the first time, and I wanted to encourage them.  There is a kleenex to dry their tears, bittersweet chocolates for the bittersweet time of realizing their babies are growing up, hugs and kiss (Hershey's) for the hugs and kisses they will shower their little ones with when they get home, some chamomile tea for calming their nerves while they wonder if their child is having a good day, and some scripture verses to encourage their heart and soul.  I thought it was a neat way to let them know we are thinking about them and send a little of God's love their way.  Not looking for any kudos for me, just wanted to share some of God's love for them.  We homeschool so we don't know what it's like to send the boys off to school, but I do know the feelings of realizing my boys are growing up soo fast.  

Here are the details of the box:  NOTE ABOUT PHOTOS.  I TOOK THEM WITH MY IPHONE SO THEY AREN'T THE BEST.  I'LL TRY FOR BETTER LATER.
2-5-7-10 box from Splitcoaststampers tutorials.  Follow those direction, but do not assemble the box together until you get the pocket on and the flaps trimmed.  
Use a coluzzle template or a nestabilitie die for tracing the circle onto the flaps.  
Stamp the backpack base or use printed papers.
Cut out box flaps as shown on tutorial.  
Pocket dimensions are 3 1/2 x 5 1/4.  Score along 5 1/4 side at 2 1/2 from each end.  Along the 3 1/2 side score at 1 /4 and 1/2 from each end.  Trim as seen in photo.  Fold and glue the back flap up.  
Flap for small pocket is 2 1/2 x 2 score along 2 inch side at 1/2 and 3/4.  Trace a circle onto the flap.  Glue to pocket then glue pocket onto backpack box base.  
Ribbon for backpack straps.   Use a long reach hole punch or an eyelet setter punch to make holes for ribbons.  
I knotted the top ends of the ribbons and then used glue dots to attach them at the bottom.

No comments: